My Other Sites: Costume Wardrobe Portal | Costume Wardrobe Blog | The Quilted Hen Blog | Happy Bobbin Blog | Backyardhens Blog

Thursday, December 7, 2006

Petticoats

After listening to advice about working with netting I have finally achieved a lovely Lolita petticoat with lots of "poomf"! These petticoats form the integral part of the "bell shape" which is typical in Lolita style clothes.

Difficulty: Easy
Total Time: 4 hours

These petticoats really aren't all that hard. I now know that I simply made some errors in fabric choice and was far to gentle which proved the downfall of my first petticoat.

First get a decent cotton or poly/cotton as the base of the petticoat. You really don't want to work with anything shiny, slippery or light weight because you just won't be able to sew the netting to it.

Second, get yourself some netting. You want the normal netting, not the bridal stuff because the bridal netting is just too thin and doesn't give that nice "poomf" when you put your garments on overtop.

The petticoats from Gosu Rori magazine have a tapered shape as the base of the skirt. Sew the two halves together and then mark out where you will sew the netting to make it easier to pin and control. Hem the bottom of the petticoat now if you need to because the netting will make that hard later on. Put this part aside for a minute.

Cut out your lengths of netting (mine were one length of 2.6m x 33cm and one length of 1.6m x 25cm) and gather one side. Pin one length along the line on your base material and stitch into place. Then pin the next length along the other line and stitch.



Sew your waistband onto the top of the skirt and insert your elastic, and you're done!

You can be quite rough with the netting. You won't hurt it!! Make it conform to where you want to sew... and worse case - remember it is going under your garment and doesn't need to look perfect.

If you find the netting is scratching on your legs you might have made the netting ruffles a little too long. Trim them a centimetre or two all the way around so that the netting is above the cotton base and then the cotton should protect your legs.

13 comments:

  1. Thanx you so much you just saved my lolita homecoming dress yay ^^.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to make my own lolita outfit for an upcoming anime con and this tutorial is very helpful, I just have one question: How much netting did you need for this project? My hips measure 86cm and my waist measures about 75cm (yeah, curse my disproportional puertorican body lol)and I was wondering if you could give me an idea of how much netting I might need. Thanks! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello!
    First, sorry for my poor English. I'm Spanish ^_^U
    Second, this is a really healpfull tutorial!! >oals! ^o^

    ReplyDelete
  4. heya! im a melb girl who stumbled upon this site. wow you're really good! I'll try and have a lolita dress ready for AVcon. just wondering how you decided where to sew the netting on? thanks ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very happy you found it helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I actually used the instructions from a Gosu Rori magazine for the most part. You can pick up the magazine for about $25 in Melbourne from Minotaur Comics or Kanga Kanga. For reference, the top line is about 5.5cm from the top, the next line is about 10-12cm below that. Hope this helps. Look for me at AVCon and come and say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to know how you went. Let me know if there is a photo I can see of your finished petticoat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I got sick two days before the convention, so I couldn't go. However there is another event coming up soon for which I am planning to go dressed Lolita. I'll make sure to take lots of pictures and show the finished product soon. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, I'm new to this Lolita stuff and I LUVs it! But my sewing isn't that good and I CAN NOT make a pattern from scratch, so can you post a tutorial on how to make a Lolita dress? It would really help ALOT!!
    >33<

    ReplyDelete
  10. BTW: unlike most Lolitas in the US, I'm a Shiro Lolita (or White Lolita by some people)so could you PLEASE post a tutorial on making a Shiro Lolita dress step by step, please? It would REALLY mean ALOT to me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. KoNaRuHi, I think it would be very hard for me to make a dress tutorial for you. I don't know what type of dress or what size you are. However there are magazines that have patterns. You can look up in your area sellers of Gosu Rori Magazine for lots of patterns or Gothic & Lolita Bible.

    The magazines are in japanese, but the measurements are all in normal numbers and there are lots and lots of pictures and fantastic pictorial instructions for the patterns. Goodluck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Could you tell me the size of the fabric you used, or what you measured to get the dimensions (i.e. around the hips) and what kind of angles you used?

    ReplyDelete